Apologies are severely under-rated in roleplaying games. Next time your character or party gets into trouble, try one of these on for size:
- I apologise for knocking you head-long into that puddle, milady, but it was two-for-one mead night at the Tipsy Tankard.
- Sorry, officer. I didn't realise there were restrictions on importing Aldabrian spice into the system, nor that its price on the black market was so high. Oops, did I just drop and lose a thousand credit banknote? How careless of me.
- Sorry, my lord, we didn't see your permit on the wall. But really, a dragon? As a guard dog?
- Please accept our sincere apologies for destroying the city, Mr Mayor. But you must realise it would have been worth it if we'd actually captured Dr Nemesis and his gang of thugs, right?
- My liege, we are most sorry we confused your mother with the orc overlord and razed half the kingdom.
GM: <roll> The star destroyer captures your ship with a tractor beam and pulls it into a docking bay.
Captain Antilles: Perfect! Troops, prepare to board!
Leia: We're supposed to be taking these plans back to Alderaan!
Captain Antilles: We will Annie, as soon as we loot their ship.
R2-D2: Jim, I agree we need a better ship. But I already own a dreadnought. And it's not crawling with thousands of clone troopers. All we have to do is find where Obi-Wan left it.
C-3PO: Oh, this is such a disaster. Again!
R2-D2: Okay then Sally, what do you think we should do?
C-3PO: We should tell them it was a mistake. One of our stupid droids malfunctioned. We say we're sorry and they can go wherever they were going before we opened fire on them.
R2-D2: You're no fun at all.